Sudden problem with LAN access to some of the net

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 30 15:21:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 10:31 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Thursday 29 September 2005 1:54 pm, Bob Chiodini wrote:

> > > Thanks, Bob - and the other question which is why did it stop working
> > > only for some functions (mail, messenger), and on only two PC's out 5?
> > > That's why I worded my opening sentence the way I did - one other thing
> > > I've noticed this am, is that I'm getting slpd errors on shutdown - well,
> > > it just says it failed to shut it down - I had never heard of this
> > > daemon, but I read a little about it, and on cursory inspection, it seems
> > > like it 'could' be related -- need to keep looking - I just posted this
> > > in case anyone else was having the same issue, on the chance it could be
> > > related to recent updates... --
> > > Claude Jones
> > > Bluemont, VA, USA
> >
> > Claude,
> >
> > I'm running FC3 and do not have slpd, but glanced at the RFC.  Has there
> > been a slpd update lately?
> >
> > Bob...
> Bob: I did some more checking when I got home last night. Still couldn't find
> any record of slpd updates. Status indicates that it's running. I get the
> 'failed to close' message when I shut down - don't know what that's about.
>
> I got things working, again. Two things - the first was to enter the DNS
> servers from my ISP in my dhcp.conf file. That immediately brought all
> machines back to life. Then, I changed that entry to the address of my lan
> NIC, 192.168.2.1 as opposed to 127.0.0.1 - it seems to be continuing to work.
> It's a bit of a mystery - why it worked before, and why it stopped working
> for two pc's out of 5???
>
> I was looking through the DNS bind server settings with Webmin last night, and
> I realized that there's a lot there I still don't understand - more reading
> to do... Thanks for the suggestions.
> --
> Claude Jones
> Bluemont, VA, USA

Claude,

Had the three working PCs been rebooted lately?  If not that might
explain why they continued to work.  Or they had not gotten new leases
from the server.

Maybe something mucked up you dhcp.conf file.  I've only limited
experience with DHCP, and I did not run my own DNS server, just handed
out the addresses from my ISP.  Is there a dhcp.conf.rpmnew or .orig
file?

Maybe there is a bug in webmin.  Did you happen to note the file date
and times for your dhcp.conf before changing it?

I take it that no one else is having similar problems.

Bob...