Sendmail delays

Grant Ozolins grant.ozolins at firebox.com
Fri Sep 30 17:32:38 UTC 2005

Jay Lee wrote:
> Grant Ozolins wrote:
>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Quite often when I try to send mail from either PHP or mutt (and
>> probably other processes too), it takes Sendmail some multiple of 5
>> seconds to accept the email and let the calling process get on with
>> things, i.e. 30, 35, 45, 55 seconds to accept the mail.
>>
>> My system is based around FC3-minimal on a dual opteron 244 box
>>
>> I'm using the stock sendmail.mc file except that I have
>>
>> dnlFEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
>>
>> and
>>
>> dnlDAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>>
>> Commented.  I initially thought this might be a greet_pause type
>> thing, but it's not actually implemented.
>

> Sounds like DNS to me.  Even if sendmail is configured to accept
> unresolvable domains, it's going to sit there a long time waiting.  What
> does:
>
> nslookup `hostname`
>
> return?  I'm not sure if sendmail uses /etc/hosts but try adding the
> output of hostname to /etc/hosts on the same line as "127.0.0.1
> localhost localhost.localdomain"
>
> Jay

Hi Jay

Thanks so much for your reply - I do actually have my hostname in
/etc/hosts - the wierd thing to me is that (I should have mentioned in
my previous post) I was getting no such delay on FC3-32 on the same
hardware - but with FC3-x86_64 the delay is present.

Thanks a lot,
Grant

--
Grant Ozolins <grant.ozolins at firebox.com>