Fedora Core 5 -- slow GUI performance

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Apr 1 06:03:45 UTC 2006

Motor wrote:

> No, the display is fine. I tried setting things up with
> system-config-display, but it made no difference. Everything is working,
> it's just a slower than FC4 -- but, it seems, only with GTK/GNOME apps.
> The slowdown doesn't happen with lyx-qt or nedit... that's why I suspect
> that the use of Cairo is the culprit.

I just read the info for cairo about it being a vector graphics library.

I guess your card is using Mesa emulation instead of DRI. (or something
like that)

If you reduced your resolution and color depth, does performance increase?

I'll test speed on the Intel 815 later to see if it is noticeably slower
than /fc4.

Sorry not helpful for your problem.

Jim