installation help

Ryne Sechrist rynesechrist at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 1 15:38:02 UTC 2006

ok well I have just been having problem after problem trying to install
fedora....i'm trying to install it on a compaq presario, 190 ram, 800 MHZ,
amd k6, ati graphics, it has windows 98 on it right now but i'm doing a full
delete of windows and replacing it with fedora 5....well first off i
downloaded the fives images off the site and burnt them as images...i then
tried to install them which the first cd failed...so i tested all my cds and
only disk 2 and 5 passed...so i redownloaded from another mirror the
rest....well on the second media check attempt only disk one passed....so i
redownloaded the others from another mirror...well that media check didn't
pass either one...so i tried again on another mirror and check failed
again....so i tried another and failed and the last time i tried they failed
again...well i was wondering "well disk 5 passed before so lets see if it
passes a second time" and it didn't...so basically i got disk 1,2,and 5 to
pass and failed 7 times on disks 3 and 4, and i retested disk 5 and it
failed....so i tried to install fedora core 5 anyway....well everythign was
going fine untill it got to the installation of the first disk...i got
through 64% on the first disk then all of the sudden my screen turned into a
bunch of text....well i'm at the end of my ropes and i have no idea what to
do now....i really want fedora but i can't seem to find stable images or if
my computer is too old or what? any help would be great...like i said i
really want linux and i have been tring everything to get it to run.....any
suggestions?   thanks