Change behavior of DVD mounts

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 2 03:04:28 UTC 2006

--- "J. K. Cliburn" <jcliburn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/1/06, Antonio Olivares
> <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > This was a new implementation/feature.  It was
> > discussed extensively on the fedora-test-list.
>
> Okay, I've read all the way through the thread.
> Thanks for that
> pointer.  Unfortunately I didn't see a final
> disposition whether the
> new mount-by-volname feature will be modified to
> also mount to a fixed
> mount point.

They will not go back to mounting to /media/cdrom,
/media/cdrecorder as it was in FC4.  If you insert
cd/dvd it should mount to /media/volumename.

If you mount it manually, then yes you can mount to
/media/cdrom, /media/cdrecorder.  There will be
several cd's/dvd's that will not automount by
themselves, and you might just have to mount them
manually.

> I'll check bugzilla next.
>
> Prior to my first post here I had added an fstab
> entry for
> /media/cdrecorder and verified I could mount a disk
> to that mount
> point (in addition to the automatic desktop mount),
> but my fstab mount
> doesn't work automatically upon insertion of a disk.

This happens because of the new changes.  There are
some services/daemons running behind the scenes and I
just do not know which ones are relevant in this case.
 Hal, fstab, etc. This is the future of where
cdroms/dvd's will be mounted.  The arguments
for/against have been made.  It is very interesting to
follow what will happen next.

Regards,

Antonio