Installing FC5 on pre-partitioned /dev/hdb

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 00:52:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 17:35, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings, here comes YARADD (Yet Another Rant About Disk Druid) or
> whatever that beast is called now.
>
> Howinhell do I use it to do absolutely nothing more to /dev/hdb, which I
> have already partitioned the way *I* want it, based on the useage
> pattern I already have on /dev/hda, but to simply remember the mount
> points name for the construction of /etc/fstab?

I haven't done this with FC5, but with other versions I've always
pre-built the partitions I wanted with fdisk, then used disk
druid to select them and and set the mount points or raid pairing.
I do it that way because druid alone would re-order the partition
layout when setting up RAID1 mirrors.  I've never had any
trouble with it detecting the existing partitions, though.

> >From the text screen this so-called disk configurator makes it rather
> hard to assure one that its dealing with the partition you selected
> from the list as anytime you press ok, /dev/hda comes back up
> highlighted.  Thats damned poor form IMO, it should revert to
> highlighting the partition being addresssed at the moment.

Text sceeen?  Does that thing still work?

> So how can I bypass this "thing from hell" and get to actually doing the
> install, and do it where I want it?

I'd stay away from text mode.  Do the reverse-vnc connection if
you have to to get a graphic screen for the setup.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com