very strange connection problem on FC5 installation (SOLVED)

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 01:06:37 UTC 2006

On 4/2/06, Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> OK, after looking around on the web somewhat (on Windoze), I found the
> problem.
> Turns out that this was a well-documented problem, except that it took me
> an
> upgrade to hit it....turns out that the linux kernel which runs my modem
> actually had a bug. It is well-documented on the web. So, I played around
> with
> it some more and a lot. But then half-an-hour found that Qwest had
> released a
> firmware upgrade ten days ago...
>
> Miraculously, this has solved the problem which apparently was that
> addresses
> routinely got assigned 1.0.0.0 and so went nowhere, without any notice.
>
> Isn't it funny, how Qwest refuses to support anything other than MS and
> then,
> underlying their modem is a true linux operating system?
>
> Anyway, so a wasted weekend later, I have a sort of working modem....sort
> of,
> because who knows what other problems are there? Upgrading to FC5 brought
> this
> to the fore....
>
> By the way, the modem in question is ActiontecG701-WT by Qwest.
>
> Thanks to Craig for helping!
> Best,
> Trotter

Hi Trotter!

My Quest supplied ActiontecG701-WG responded to IPv6 DNS queries with the
same 1.0.0.0 address.  I found the easiest way arround it was to remove the
modem's address (192.168.0.1) from /etc/resolv.conf (there was another
nameserver to use).

I did not see anything about a Kernal issue related to this?  To what do you
refer.

In the process I learned that Firefox has one network related parameter to
disable the use of IPv6 DNS queries.  Perhaps this is more common than we
know.

Perhaps it should be filed as a bug with a suggested fix to check for a
valad response address?

Thanks for the note!

Tod