vmware player can't configure itself on 2069

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Apr 3 03:19:33 UTC 2006

running /usr/bin/vmare-config.pl as I always do after a kernel update I get
the following

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Player is suitable for your
running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel?
[/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2069_FC4-i686/include

The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same
address space size as your running kernel.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

Normally, I would just take the defaults, but, after the first failure to find
the /usr/src/linux/include directory, I poked around and found an include
directory at /usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2069_FC4-i686/include, but it didn't
like that, either.... Anyone else get this? Found a recent thread here on
Fedora-list about vmware, but, it didn't seem to apply, as the problem was
with xinetd - not with a directory not found - this has worked through seven
or eight previous kernel upgrades for me.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA