Installing FC5 on pre-partitioned /dev/hdb

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 15:45:56 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 10:22, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 03 April 2006 10:03, Paul Howarth wrote:
> >Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> And add one more.
> >>
> >> 4) Since when is it illegal to have a seperate root partition?  DD
> >> forced me to make root a directory on /, and I've never run that way
> >> in 8 years.  I'll bruteforce it because the partition is there,
> >> without a label since DD wouldn't let me use it, IF there is no good
> >> reason for changing to a dir on / in the first place.
> >
> >Presumably you mean a "/root partition" rather than a "root partition"
> >(which I'd read as being for "/")?
> >
> >I guess it's for similar reasons to ensuring that /etc lives on the
> > root partition, to ensure that root's environment is present and sane
> > when no other partitions are mounted (e.g. in single user mode).
> >
> >Paul.
>
> I was under the impression (and no idea where I heard/read that now)
> that any partitions marked 0 0 on the end of the fstab line were
> mounted in 'single' mode.  Is this not the case?  I haven't used single
> with this FC2 install ever, no need to so far, so I don't know, but
> I'll find out the next time I reboot to it.

It's whether and when to run the fsck if the filesystem wasn't
unmounted cleanly.  1 1 means do it first do it first, before
remounting / in rw mode, 1 2 means do it after / is remounted
and the ones with the same number can be run in parallel. 0 0
is for something that doesn't need to be checked, like a network
mount.

You generally want /root to be available when you log in
for diagnostics, which might be needed sometime when none
of the other filesystems can be mounted.   However, if you
know how to boot the install CD in rescue mode you don't have
to worry so much about being able to do diagnostics.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com