Wiring help?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 3 20:32:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Dan Track wrote:

> On 4/3/06, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Dan Track wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I appreciate this is OT but could some one guide me to some
>>> documentation that describes the difference between structured and
>>> unstructured cabling. Basically I just bought some cabling to attach
>>> my server to the switch, but someone just told me that what I bought
>>> was structured cabling and not good for this type of job.
>>
>> someone has their terminology screwed up.
>>
>> A structured cabling system is one layed out in a consistent hierarchical
>> system. An unstructured cable plant is one where every time you need to
>> connect two devices you ran another jumper/fiber/patch etc.
>>
>>> Also should the switch to server wiring be shielded or unshielded?
>>
>> If this is ethernet, 10/100/1000 base-t it runs over unshielded category 5
>> twisted pair cable.
>>
>> Getting back to the original statement. in-wall wiring in most places has
>> to be plenum rated to meet building codes, in addition most of the time
>> premisis wiring  is done with solid copper rather than stranded (which is
>> more flexible and is used for jumpers.
>>
>> If you have two devices sitting right next to each other, you just connect
>> them with a jumper.
>>
>>> Thanks for your patience
>>> Dan
>

> Hi
>
> Thanks very much for your advice. I appreciate it.
>
> Could you elaborate on the stranded v non-stranded cabling. What are
> the key differences. Should I order stranded cabling to connect a
> switch and server?

A cat-5 twisted pair cable is 4 pairs (8 wires). The wire comes in two
flavors in general, a 26 gauge solid conductor, or a 26 guage stranded
wire (which is composed of smaller gauge wire twisted together. solid wire
is less flexible, costs a little less, and is a bit easier crimp than
stranded (though at one point I was pretty good at crimping stranded).
stranded is more durable if subjected to lots of motion, solid
is more durable in long term instalations because it has less surface
area to oxidize.

Your jumper will almost certainly be stranded.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu