post installation help

Richard England rengland at europa.com
Tue Apr 4 06:14:57 UTC 2006

Ryne Sechrist wrote:
> ok well i installed fedora 5 on my compaq computer i used the text
> version...well i thought something was weird when it said installation
> was complete and i only used 2 cds (and i had to have five?) well it
> said to reboot, which i did...and when it reebooted it runs a bunch of
> tests and never loads the GUI instead it gets to ..... Localhost Login
> screen and i have no idea what to type....did i miss something? i put
> in a root password at installation but never a login or anything? what
> do i do? i just want to get to the desktop....i looked in the
> installation guide and it shows an example through the graphical
> interface so i shut down the computer and put the first disk in and
> did the upgrade with the graphical installation....well it loaded
> something and then said installation complete (only used disk one) and
> it said to reboot, which i did. and when i rebooted, it asks for my
> login again....what do i do?? any help please? i just want to have
> fedora on this computer...thanks

I'm no expert with this but my suspicion is that you may not have loaded
the Xwindows libraries/programs and the window manager system (KDE or
Gnome) that would provide the GUI.  I don't know the distribution of
software on the CD's but if you didn't request the GUI, it may not need
more than 2 CDs.

Is the screen black with something like the following showing up at the top?

    Fedora Core Release 5 (something here)
    kernel - - - --  --  on an i686

    localhost login:

If it is then try  putting in  "root" where it says "login:" and hit
return.  When it prompts you, give it the password you gave. This will
at least show if the installation was anywhere near complete.

If you respond with the type of installation you chose (server,
workstation, etc.) and any further information you can provide about the
options you chose at installation time, someone with a lot more
experience/understanding may be able to assist you.

Or,...you might want to try the install one more time and make sure you
install the "Office and Productivity" or the "Software Developer"
packages and DON'T remove anything.

Reference:
http://linuxtopia.org/online_books/installation_guides/redhat_fedora_core_5_installation_guide/ch-packageselection.html

--