open office slow under KDE in FC5

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 09:38:25 UTC 2006

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed that OpenOffice seems very slow when running in a KDE
session ? If I login with Gnome it is much snapper ? Note, this is NOT some
sort of "KDE is slow" thing (which it isn't). All other apps are fine, its
just open office. Also, it seems able to slow done the whole KDE desktop
somehow, which is strange. After using for a while simple things like
swapping desktops is very slow. If I quite openoffice all is fine again.

I suspect the "KDE integration" stuff - I've had troubles with this before,
but in this version it is built in  (I.e., I get different icons under gnome
than KDE). I tried this in FC4 and the same thing - it just slowed everything
down so I removed it.

I would like to turn off the KDE integration, and just use the normal
openoffice icons - Previously I could just remove the rpm but now its built
in I'm not sure how ?

Chris