./configure command

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 14:06:24 UTC 2006

Joao Paulo Pires wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
> Thanks for your answer.
> I'm a end user for FC4. The real problem I have is each time I want
> try some program from CDs ou DVDs from magazines, they advise to
> install with './configure' and 'make install'. Is there any other
> possibility?
> TIA, Joao.
> A minha patria e a lingua portuguesa

They shouldn't advise to install with that method for FC4/5. Use yum,
rpm, pirut, pup, yumex; they all work with RPMs and yum/frontends work
with RPM repositories. Yum will use core, updates and extras by default.
The fourth repository I mainly use is livna:
rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release4.rpm
Then yum will be able to install anything in that repository (packages
redhat cannot distribute).
-Dan