Are RWs a problem?

Tue Apr 4 17:54:43 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, James Wilkinson <fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I haven't used RW disks for ages, but since I wanted to experiment a bit, it
> > seemed sensible.  I put a CD-RW into k3b (FC4) and it erased it happily, but
> > I can't get it to burn to the disk at all.
>
> There is a new version of k3b for both FC4 and FC5 in updates-testing.
> Harold Hoyer has asked on fedora-test-list that people please test it.
> If you are still having problems with k3b, you might want to try it.

Hello everyone,

I am getting the same error as Anne did - not only with k3b but also
with Gnomebaker. The problem occurs whenever I try to erase a CD/RW
disc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Below is the error log from k3b:

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.12.14

KDE Version: 3.5.1-2.3 Red Hat
QT Version:  3.3.5
Kernel:      2.6.16-1.2080_FC5
Devices
-----------------------
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B 1.05 (/dev/hdd, ) at  [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM;
DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P;
SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]

Used versions
-----------------------
cdrecord: 2.1.1a03

cdrecord command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=6320481 -tao
driveropts=burnfree -eject blank=fast -force

cdrecord
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).

/usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority
using setpriority().
/usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
devname: '/dev/hdd'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hdd'.
Cannot open SCSI driver.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make
sure you are root.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2005 Jörg Schilling
NOTE: This version contains the OSS DVD extensions for cdrtools and thus may
      have bugs related to DVD issues that are not present in the original
      cdrtools. Please send bug reports or support requests to
      http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla The original cdrtools author should
      not be bothered with problems in this version.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

--
Stand before it and there is no beginning.
Follow it and there is no end.