LVM issue in FC5

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 19:36:05 UTC 2006

Dan <grinnz at gmail.com> wrote:
>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: LVM issue in FC5
>Sender: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
>
>Ron Yorston wrote:
>> I'm having an intermittent problem with an LVM partition failing to
>> be fsck'ed during boot.  When this happens I get the message:
>>
>>    fcsk.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/.tmp-253-2
>>
>> There are three partitions on this LV.  The first two are always fsck'ed
>> fine; the third fails about 20% of the time.
>>
>> The logical volume was first created in FC3 and has been working without
>> incident in FC4.  It's only since I installed FC5 that I've seen the
>> problem.  I'm running kernel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 and lvm2-2.02.01-1.2.1.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Ron
>>

>Odd file, did you try fsck'ing it while fedora is booted (so it actually
>fixes stuff)? And is the file present in an ls -a?

The filesystem is clean.  The problem is that sometimes fsck can't find
the partition to fsck it.  I'm thinking that the /dev/.tmp-253-2 is what
the partition is called at the early stage in the boot process when fsck
is run.  Once the system is up it's /dev/dm-2.  The '253-2' comes from
the block device associated with the logical volume:

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/vg00/lv02
  VG Name                vg00
  LV UUID                71dI2E-PW8J-imIe-P22K-xRPZ-iyzv-845aPD
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                6.84 GB