Are RWs a problem?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 4 22:44:39 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 16:58 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Anne Wilson wrote:

>>>There may be other problems, but this one suggests that something, probably
>>>automount, is grabbing the device.  Make sure you have closed any file
>>>manager windows, and if a device icon has come onto the desktop, use it to
>>>umount the device.
>>
>>Erm, not on my machine. I have to use umount from a CLI. Using
>>the desktop icon results in the disc being ejected.
>
> ----
> which would probably work because a program such as K3b would call for
> it to be inserted and not mount such a disk but rather perform whatever
> is needed to erase and start writing.

Now who's speaking out of ignorance? :-)

No, because when K3b calls for the door to close, the automounter
finds it and mounts it. And if it's blank, using this technique
causes the "CD Maker" to start up, preventing K3b from working right.

The only thing that works on my machine is

(1) Insert the disc
(2) If it was blank, wait for the CD Maker to start, then kill it
(3) If it was not blank, wait for it to mount, start a CLI, and umount it
(4) Start or continue with K3b.

I never have approved of auto mouting like this. IMO, MicroSoft products
handle removable media better than UNIX like OSs, especially floppies.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.