Questions about the new mount system: "gnome-mount"?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 5 04:55:23 UTC 2006

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> Hello, Everyone
> Before I proceed to ask this question, I want to acknowledge that I
> have read the following from the release notes:
>
>>Fedora Core 5 now uses gnome-mount, a more efficient mechanism that
>>replaces fstab-sync, and uses HAL to handle mounting.

[snip]

> I do not need (nor do I necessarily want) automounting.  All I want to
> do (as a regular user) is to mount and unmount media in my two cd drives
> and my flash drive.  I do not use GNOME, and I would rather not have to

Edit /etc/fstab by hand, build the empty directories, and use the mount
command in any CLI window. That's the way I mount/unmount my floppies.
Here's how I have my floppy set up...

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto    noauto,user,kudzu 0 0

You probably want /media/floppy as the mount point.
Here are the meainings of the fields;

/dev/fd0	device to mount
/mnt/floppy	mount point (empty directory)
auto		automatically detect file system type
(this next bit is all one field)
noauto,		don't automatically attempt mount at boot time
user,		allow user mode mounts/dismounts
kudzu		do auto-detection of hardware changes
(end of field)
0		instruct dump not to dump the file system
0		tell fsck not to check it

Using man fstab will help you on this matter.

Here's my CDROM entry

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,user,kudzu,exec,ro 0 0

which, presumably, you now can read for yourself. The "exec"
means "allow me to run programs from the CDROM", and "ro"
means "read only". See man mount for further info on this
field, as they get passed along (almost) without change
to the mount command.

Here's how I have my mount points configured

$ ls -ld /mnt/floppy /mnt/cdrom
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Oct 20  2004 /mnt/cdrom
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Apr  3 16:16 /mnt/floppy

Again, you probably want /media/floppy and /media/cdrom.

There is probably a way to associate the mount/umount
commands with some clickable object like a menu entry
or sth in KDE. I dunno. I don't use KDE, and even if I
did I probably wouldn't use it. In GNOME (which I use)
there is a way to click on the mountable devices to mount
them, but I don't use it.

If you have some sort of program which automatically
re-writes your /etc/fstab, then I recommend you disable
it. Leave updfstab in place, because it only looks at the
stuff marked with kudzu, so it can be controlled.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.