Wireless comnection

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200604 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Wed Apr 5 20:29:32 UTC 2006

David McCormick <dmccormick at wvmcc.com> writes:
> I upgraded my 32 bit laptop which uses ndiswrapper and my 64 bit
> machine which uses madwifi by yum today and now neither one will
> connect to the router.
> They both show the network and that the signal is strong. Connection
> fails on both.  My wife's XP box connects OK so it looks like
> something in the upgrade. I have tried disabling Selinux and the fire
> wall that doesn't help. Anyone else had this problem?

I just got madwifi partially working on fc5/amd64 with an ancient
atheros based netgear wab501.  I can configure the card by hand and it
seems to work.  NetworkManager can't seem to bring this card up
correctly and system-configure-network never sees the card so one has
to root around in /etc/... copying eth0 to ath0 and adjusting to
taste.  I recall finding 3 instances of the same file that was
hard-linked.  Copying eth0 in one location, editing and hard linking
in the other got things to work.  After generating that file
system-config-network did see interface and allowed further edits
using the gui.

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ath0
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-ath0

And the file contents:

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=yes
PEERDNS=yes