FC5 Totem and DVD

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 13:48:05 UTC 2006

Michael Peters wrote:

> On Thursday, April 06, 2006, at 06:11AM, antonio montagnani <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>When I use Totem and I want to play a DVD a get the message that it is
>>impossible to reproduce this kind of file as an appropriate plugin is
>>missing.
>>
>>What am I missing (and why it is not loaded as standard, playing a DVD
>>seems to me a standard operation also for a non-geek-user??)
>

> To play a DVD with totem - you need
>
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly
>
> use the rpm.livna.org repository or gstreamer.org repository.
> You also need libdvdcss
>
> It still won't play them from the menu though. Try:
>
> totem DVD://
>
> That works for me - though the video/audio is choppy and not in sync.
>
> Back in FC3 - totem w/ gstreamer worked decently - but due to changes in gstreamer and totem, it is kind of broken right now.
>
> You can use ogle (I think it is in livna) or mplayer.

I tried ogle and mplayer. They work, after a fashion, but not with every
DVD title out there.

I use vlan. It plays everything I can get from a studio.

But--it will /not/ play the DVD's that I burn on another machine. (Roxio
Easy DVD Builder on Windows XP SP2.) Perhaps the MPEG-2 encoding is at
issue.

I have searched (through Google and elsewhere) for decent open-source
DVD authoring tools. I have found none.

Basically, I'm happy if my home-burnt DVD's can play on consumer-aimed
home DVD players. And yes, they can. They just won't play on my Fedora
boxes.

Temlakos