eth0 not working

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 6 15:58:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 11:43 -0400, Washington, CJ (OCTO) wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I don't understand why but when I used the command below, I was logged
> in as one of the users of the machine and the command failed.  Then I
> logged in as root and reissued the command.  It worked fine.  I guess
> you have to be logged in as root in order for the eth0 to work.  But I
> have not tried the same thing using one of the user accounts created
> on the system.
>
> Can someone please explain this?
>
> Thanks,

----
Please don't post in html

Please don't top post - put your replies on the bottom

/etc/init.d/network restart is a command that requires root privileges.
Just about any command that operates on underlying hardware/system
requires root privileges. Users can do user activities.

A user should be able to ping anywhere permitted by routing of the
network. You might want to log in as a user and try to ping again. In
fact, you should only log in as a regular user. If you need to obtain
root privileges in a shell, you would open a terminal window and type
'su -' (omitting the quotes) and supply the root password and then you
would have root privileges.

I don't know why it would have hung while shutting down.

Craig