firefox and java

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 21:04:26 UTC 2006

Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> For FC5 can firefox use gcj for it java plugin or do we still need to
> use sun or blackdown?

It's a BAD idea at the moment to use gcj for a java web plugin. This is
because gcjwebplugin, the plugin which is being developed, currently
runs Java applets *without* a "sandbox" -- which is what keeps Java
applets from accessing the rest of your data. It makes Java less secure
than ActiveX (and that's saying something).

A sandbox is coming -- it's one of the things on the list of things to
do. Then Fedora should be able to support Java applets on the web
out of the box -- no configuration necessary.

See http://www.nongnu.org/gcjwebplugin/ for more details.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "When you're new to computers, you think they're magic.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Then you learn some stuff and think you understand