dual booting XP and Linux

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 6 21:28:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 13:18 -0400, Washington, CJ (OCTO) wrote:
> Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP using two Hard drives.
>

> Have another question, I tired and tried to load Linux and XP using
> two different Hard Drives.  XP loaded
>
> Correctly, and it seemed as if Linux did to. I loaded XP on the
> primary drive and linux on the slave drive.  I followed the
> instructions on Fedoras site on how to dual boot two operating systems
> and installed grub in the MBR on hda.  Every time I tried to boot the
> machine, the MBR was I guess ignored and linux never booted.  XP kept
> booting.  So I found a website that mentioned removing one of the
> harddrives, installing XP on it, then removing that harddrive and
> plugging in the second harddrive as master, install Linux on that one,
> then plug in the hard drive with XP as the slave drive.  Then booting
> into linux and changing the grub.conf file.
>

> I kind of understand this but can someone give me a sample of what
> they mean by adding the XP drive for the dual boot option using Grub.
>  grub.conf generated by anaconda
I have done this many times and it should be easy to do.
First a grub.conf should look like this:
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,2)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.1833_FC4)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.1833_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb
quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.1833_FC4.img
title Windows
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

Needless to say your hdx,y designations will be different.
Then boot he system using Linux rescue or it should be possible on the
first CD to type : linux rescue at the prompt. Eventually it will
identify you Linux partition and you tell it that hdbx is the partition
you want to use. It will be mounted probably on /mnt/sysimage.
Then : chroot /mnt/sysimage
now run the following set of commands:
grub
grub> root (hd1,0)  <-- assumes you linux is on partition 1 of hdb
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

You should be able to remove the Cd during the reboot that should work
to allow you to boot Linux or Windows.