Starting shorewall

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Apr 8 11:15:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 11:33 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Kevin Browne wrote:
>
> > Have you edited /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf to set the line STARTUP=1,
> > this enables shorewall to start on boot.
>
> There isn't a line with STARTUP in my /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf
> (as installed by yum).
>
> However, shorewall appears to start up without any errors;
> but I cannot access the internet from other machines on my LAN.
> I have to run "sudo service shorewall restart" after logging in,
> and then all is well.
>
> As I said, it is as though something run after /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> turns shorewall off.
>
> Actually, it is no burden to restart shorewall,
> as I normally only re-boot this machine
> when installing a new version of Fedora.
> But I am interested to know why this occurs.
> [I guess the shorewall mailing list is a better place to ask.]
>
> Incidentally, when shorewall is left in its original position
> in /etc/rc.d/rc.init it does not start up properly;
> it has to wait for my wireless LAN to start up.
> In this case I get a clear error message from shorewall.

At what point in the boot process does your wireless LAN come up?
Is it a regular initscript at a fixed place, or do you use something
like NetworkManager, which only brings it up when you log in?

If it's a regular initscript, you could just move shorewall to start
later in the boot process, after the wireless LAN.

Paul.