Starting shorewall

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sat Apr 8 14:48:10 UTC 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 05:50, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Incidentally, there has been a slight change
> in the behaviour of iptables - I guess after installing some
> update. It pauses now for a second or so when it mentions each
> local LAN, presumably while it checks that the LAN is accessible.
> I don't think it used to do this.

If you're talking about checking the local LAN for available shares,
this is new.  It's due to a new module; ip_conntrack_netbois_ns:

#lsmod

ip_conntrack         49261  2 ip_conntrack_netbios_ns,xt_state
nfnetlink               6489  1 ip_conntrack

which now allows you to discover smb shares on the LAN without
disabling your iptables firewall.  ( collection of the port 137
broadcast responses ).

Regards, Mike Klinke