yum local repos first?

Stuart smcg2297 at frii.com
Sat Apr 8 22:30:20 UTC 2006

"Jonathan Underwood" <jonathan.underwood at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:645d17210604080403wbeb4623w67b6a1fafa8928c7 at mail.gmail.com...
> > > Is there some way to specify a repo "preference" so
> > > that the local repos will be used to satisfy dependencies
> > > before going to remote repos?
>
> As another option (see my other post about failovermethod) you could
> also install the fastest-mirror plugin, which polls all available
> mirrors and then uses the fastest. Presumably your local mirror should
> be the fastest and win the race :)
>
> The fastest-mirror plugin is discussed in this thread here:
> https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum-devel/2005-August/001452.html

This suggestion seemed like the quickest way to
the goal, so I installed version 0.5-1 and it seemed
to be working.  But then... :-(

I try to install a package (I used stow-1.3.3-3
which is in both the extras repo, and in my local-extras)
yum picks the version from extras to install.  I checked
the timedhosts.txt file created by fastestmirrors, and
it has the local-extras repo listed right at the top
(sorted by time).  My repo is ok I think because if I
run yum with "--disable extras" it offers to install
from my local-extras.

Below is the output of two yum invocations, the
first with my local sub-extras repo available but the
extras repo disabled.  The second is with both available.
(What I have been calling local-extras is actually called
local-misc below.)
I expected and wanted the second to offer to install
from local-misc rather than extras.
Debug level is 4, and fastestmirror plugin is plugged in.
local-misc is small assorted of rpms from extras (and
maybe elsewhere) with the repodata created by
createrepo.

If anyone can devine anything by looking at these
I would appreciate very much hearing your thoughts.
Maybe I just don't understand the package selection
process used by yum?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Yum with only local-extras (actually called local-misc), i.e. extras disabled.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

# yum --disablerepo extras install stow
Running "config" handler for "installonlyn" plugin
Running "init" handler for "fastestmirror" plugin
Yum Version: 2.6.0
COMMAND: yum
Installroot: /
Ext Commands:
   stow
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
local-misc                                                           [1/2]
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['file:///usr/local/src/dist/fc5/']
local-core                                                           [2/2]
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://inet/fc5']
Running "postreposetup" handler for "fastestmirror" plugin
Setting up Package Sacks
Reading Local RPMDB
Parsing package install arguments
No other stow installed, adding to list for potential install
reduced installs :
   stow.noarch 0:1.3.3-3.fc5
Building updates object
Resolving Dependencies
1144532128.48
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
Adding Package stow - 1.3.3-3.fc5.noarch in mode u
---> Package stow.noarch 0:1.3.3-3.fc5 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
Running "postresolve" handler for "installonlyn" plugin

Dependencies Resolved
1144532128.61

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
 stow                    noarch     1.3.3-3.fc5      local-misc         42 k

Transaction Summary
Install      1 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 42 k
Is this ok [y/N]: n
Exiting on user Command
Complete!
/usr/local/src/dist/fc5/repodata#

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Yum with both extras and local-extras (actually called local-misc)
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

# yum install stow
Running "config" handler for "installonlyn" plugin
Running "init" handler for "fastestmirror" plugin
Yum Version: 2.6.0
COMMAND: yum
Installroot: /
Ext Commands:
   stow
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
local-misc                                                           [1/3]
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['file:///usr/local/src/dist/fc5/']
local-misc                100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
local-core                                                           [2/3]
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://inet/fc5']
local-core                100% |=========================| 1.3 kB    00:00
extras                                                               [3/3]
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/',
'http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/', 'http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/',
'ftp://mirror.newnanutilities.org/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/',
'http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedora.redhat/linux/extras/5/i386/',
'http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/',
'ftp://fedora.mirrors.tds.net/pub/fedora-core-extras/5/i386/', 'ftp://fedora.bu.edu/fedora/extras/5/i386/']
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
Running "postreposetup" handler for "fastestmirror" plugin
Setting up Package Sacks
Reading Local RPMDB
Parsing package install arguments
No other stow installed, adding to list for potential install
No other stow installed, adding to list for potential install
reduced installs :
   stow.noarch 0:1.3.3-3.fc5
Building updates object
Resolving Dependencies
1144531591.16
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
Adding Package stow - 1.3.3-3.fc5.noarch in mode u
---> Package stow.noarch 0:1.3.3-3.fc5 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
Running "postresolve" handler for "installonlyn" plugin

Dependencies Resolved
1144531591.41

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
 stow                    noarch     1.3.3-3.fc5      extras             42 k

Transaction Summary
Install      1 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)