HP Pavilion LapTop, AMD Turion 64 cpu

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 10 04:20:49 UTC 2006

On Sunday 09 April 2006 23:58, Stephen Mirowski wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I just bought this thing, and have spent the evening doing a little
>> housecleaning and exploring using the deafult XP Home edition OS
>> thats on it, and trying to get used to the 'mouse' tablet as a
>> navigator tool and have a few questions.  And please excuse me but
>> this is the first 'windoze' machine I've ever bought.
>>
>> If I wanted to put linux on this, should I use the i386 dvd of FC5 I
>> already have, or go get the AMD64 version?
>>
>> It has an approximately 7.5GB partition D which is an image of the
>> install for recovery usage.  I've no idea where it is on the disk
>> but I'd assume (theres THAT word again) that its at the inside of
>> the 100GB drive thats in this.  So the question then is how does one
>> go about clearing some space to make room for an FC5 install without
>> losing that inside partitions location data and hence that whole
>> partition?
>>
>> Thats enough questions for one message I think, and many thanks to
>> those who attempt to help a windows newbie get back to his favorite
>> OS. :-)
>
>As far as I recall, the hidden partitions are just that. A data drive
>without a letter
>assigned in Windows.

It is in fact assigned to drive 'D' when you inspect the drives
properties.

>If you went into Administrative Tools / Disk
>Management,
>you probably could assign it a letter and access the files. I would
>guess it's the
>first primary partition of the HDD. I would guess just installing the
>boot loader
>to the MBR just the same if it wasn't there would be okay, just don't
>delete that
>partition or use it for Linux FS.
>
>You could back it up to a DVD or another computer if you assign it a
>driver letter.

The dvd is a dual layer Lightscribe, so I assume this would serve as a
backup if I get the dual layer disks?  According to the properties its
(D) about 7.8GB, with 650 megs free.  Is this a basicly 'ghost' image?

>I have installed OSs w/ leaving the hidden partition on my IBM lapper
>before, but
>I never had a reason to use the stuff on that drive, so if any
> negative effects occurred,
>I am unaware of. (After awhile I blew that thing away so I have have
>more space
>for me =) )

Unless I give this to the missus when I get back from a long out of town
session, that may happen.  She was complaining the other day she didn't
have a computer to use, but from what I've been able to discern, her
computer knowledge is at about the level of a dual floppy (one broken)
school version Packard Bell from about 1992 or so.  286, 4 megs of ram
in the deluxe models yadda yadda...

The first thing I did tonight after getting in up on my home network,
behind a bulletproof firewall, was send it after all the M$ updates,
about 35-40 of them all told.

>Hopefully others here have some thoughts on this.

Yes, all input is appreciated.  Thanks Stephen.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: