kernel errors

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Mon Apr 10 06:25:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Tim wrote:

> tbrowder:
>>> ata5: error=0x04 { DriveStat ...:  1 Time(s)
>>> ata5: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } ...:  1 Time(s)
>>> ata6: error=0x84 { DriveStat ...:  1 Time(s)
>>> ata6: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } ...:  1 Time(s)
>
> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 16:20 -0500, Thad Nielsen wrote:
>> System is having difficulty reading the drive.  If it is a CD or DVD
>> drive, is there a good, readable disc in it?  If it is a hard drive,
>> it is time to try fsck.  Good luck!

OK. If I do e2fsck -cvfy, it says that because the drive is mounted, I
could cause damage. Fine. I umount -a it, then try again, and...
it still says this. This is done after I type "shutdown now", whereby it
blows me to runlevel 1. Suggestions?

> Cabling problems can also bring a similar fault warning.  Or other
> things on the motherboard.  I've a motherboard where the EEPROM creeps
> out of the socket (due to thermal reasons), and the first thing that
> usually upsets is drive access.

Hmmm. Will check this, since I am having a similar problem on one of my
machines.

E-mail: sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu                                  ***