Re: Grub loading

"Brian Candlish" wrote:
Dear Sir or Madam,

Having installed and reinstalled Fedora Core 5, my grub load
er simply will not boot Fedora, yet will do so for Windows X
P. When trying to load Fedora I get the following response:-

Boot
Uncompressing Linux …
Crc error
--System halted

On first glance it sounds like either a bad drive sector, or a bad install. Did you do the media check on the FC5 media? A CRC error (short for cyclic redundancy check) is usually associated with a bad file copy/corrupt file/bad disk sector issue.

Can anyone please explain what a crc error is and what I can
do about it.

All suggestions gratefully received – I thought of booting
from a floppy but can’t get grub to work via a floppy!

Malcolm Candlish.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415