[Flame Bait] - Linux as bloatware

Stephen Mirowski spmirowski at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 10 19:35:03 UTC 2006

Jeff Mutonho wrote:

>> Although Gnome is my preferred Environment, the dependency chain is
>> ridiculous.
>> I don't use Evolution;  however, if I uninstall it, deps would remove
>> Gnome =P
>> I am not sure if it is the LSB, Fedora or Gnome deps, but when I install
>> Fedora I get
>> web servers, DNS servers and mail servers installed and all I want for
>> this machine
>> is a desktop type install, after all it is a laptop.
>>

> During my install , I remember seeing an option to choose which
> packages(hence servers) you want to install....

Fedora Core 4, 5 and probably the others, I select which packages I want to
install.  I can get very specific so it can take 15 mins or so.
Installer runs,
picks deps (doesn't even tell you what they are), boot up Fedora and many
packages I have unselected have been installed.

I start figuring out deps when I start uninstalling this packages, but
it's a lot
of work learning all that jazz.  Mandriva's installer tells you what the
deps
are as you check or uncheck (and confirms with a prompt to see if you want
to make those changes).

I like using Fedora, but I hate the installer (lack of disclosure and
customization
before first boot).   After I install it, I usually spend a lot of time
uninstalling the apps
I told it not to install in the first place (if uninstalling the app
doesn't break something
I use).

Anaconda is only a millimeter better than a Windows installer.  Window
doesn't
give the option of customizing modules on install where Anaconda gives
you the
option but installs the crap anyways =P

I guess in the M$ sys vs Open Source sys, M$ does have something good,
less code
reuse which prevents crazy deps trees and simplifies installs for users.

Stephen