MP3 files in Linux how to play them?!!!!!

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Tue Apr 11 02:02:28 UTC 2006

Ivan Evstegneev wrote:
> Does someone can please explain me what is going on with mp3 files on
> linux?
Simply put, software patents prevent its codec(s) from being legally distributed
Freely.

> Is there are some "other" ways to listen to the mp3? And
The unofficial Fedora FAQ[1] will help you here (though currently not updated
for FC5).

> If it is some stupid politics, so why M$ don't do the same things? Why
> they still permit the use of winamp an etc? This is stinks...
They pay for the license to use the codec and in some cases like WinAmp, freely
(for no cost) distribute them.

[1] http://www.fedorafaq.org/
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479