Switching my stock Apple (white) keyboard in FC5.

Rob Andrews rob at choralone.org
Tue Apr 11 16:54:48 UTC 2006

On 11-Apr-2006 17:27.48 (BST), Brian Durant wrote:
 > What is a stock (white) Apple USB keyboard that comes with a G5 listed
 > as (dk, dk-latin1, Macintosh, Macintosh old, etc.)? I simply couldn't
 > find a keymap, for any language, that fits this extremely popular
 > keyboard, that comes with all G5, iMac G5, etc. Apple computers.

The kbd package does not contain layouts for the Mac USB keyboards.

The console-data package in Debian contains layouts for them that I
import to get the correct layout. The layouts are mostly correct - e.g.
the UK Mac USB keyboard uses right-alt+3 for #, and has a pound sign in
place of the dollar, but the white/pro keyboard models have a few quirks
that aren't covered in these maps - backtick/tilde and
section/plus-minus aren't correctly mapped.

Xorg, to the best of my knowledge, has none of these layouts at all.

I don't know if Yellow Dog has support for these keymaps out of the box,
but it may be useful to peek into their kbd and xorg keymaps SRPMS and
see if they have any.

rob andrews                       :: pgp 0xb35ff721 :: rob at choralone.org