auch, postgresql

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Apr 12 03:15:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:36:48 -0400,
  Leonid Flaks <flaks at bnl.gov> wrote:

> I read somewhere in documentation, that pg_dump and pg_dumpall both
> understand old format (to a certain point). That should give us an
> option of making a backup after upgrade. I did not try it myself - just
> a thought. In my case I only had to recreate user account manually -
> everything else went smoothly per notes.

You are misunderstanding the documentation. The real work is done by the
server and the new server will not be able to read the old data.
pg_dump and pg_dumpall are clients and can connect to old database versions
and correctly dump them. They don't directly read the raw data though.
It is actually prefered to dump with the new clients when doing an upgrade.
But they need to connect to the old server.