OT: Hardware opinions sought

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 10:51:27 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 11:38, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 10:17:48AM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > My grandson is about to embark on a university course for computer
> > graphics and animation, and as such, he keeps an eye out for graphics
> > card developments.  He has spotted that cclonline are offering a 512MB
> > graphics
>
> Will he be running Linux or Windows?

Initially, Windows.  I hope to get him doing some work at least on Linux
during the summer break.  At the moment, though, we don't know whether the
coursework will be Windows, Unix, or a mix of both.

> > card for under £100, but on investigation it turns out to be PCI Express,
> > which his motherboard doesn't support.  Upgrading card, mobo and cpu (and
> > possibly RAM) is beyond his budget.
> >
> > The question, then, is whether such an upgrade would provide a truly
> > useful improvement, with regard to his uni work.  I am happy to finance
> > the move if it does, but not if it only improves game-playing.
>
> Forthcoming nVidia 7600 GS for AGP might be a useful investment both
> for gaming and for graphics/animation (planned price is some $150 US).
> There are several nVidia Quadro based AGP boards which are slightly
> pricey but de rigeur for professional 3d work
>
> 	http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_family.html
>
> What is the right one depends on what tasks your grandson plans to
> do.

That's helpful, thanks.  I'll keep an eye on this.  Once he really knows what
he needs, at least I'll be somewhat prepared with some answers ;-)

Anne