Fedora core 3 - 4GB memory limit?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Apr 12 11:12:07 UTC 2006

Am Mi, den 12.04.2006 schrieb Eric Persson um 12:48:

> I have a Fedora core 3 machine:
>
> Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg)
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.9-1.667smp #1 SMP Tue Nov 2 14:59:52 EST
> 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Did you ever update your system? At least the kernel is very old.

> It currently have 3gb of memory in it, and I have two spare slots which
> I intend to fill with an additional 2gb of memory to get to a total of
> 5gb in the machine.

Does your motherboard support such an amount of RAM? You did not tell us
which one you run. You should look into the manual. On non server i386
x86 boards the amount of RAM is often limited to max. 4 GB, where you
even loose the amount which is required by I/O components. Thus you
often only have max. 3.5GB RAM even if 4GB modules sticked in.

> Is this possible or is there a 4gb limit in the kernel, which would make
> something like PAE needed. If so, is that already included in the stock
> kernel used?

AFAIK the kernel can handle that amount of RAM.

> 	Eric

Alexander

Serendipity 13:08:17 up 29 days, 13:56, load average: 0.09, 0.17, 0.15