problem with wireless on my Dell laptop

BB Cao pearlsmm at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 02:00:27 UTC 2006

Marc M <linuxr at gmail.com> wrote:    1.  bring ethernet cards up and down

#  ifup eth0
#  ifup eth1

2.  stop and start the network services
#  service network stop
#  service network start

3.  configure your hardware and network settings
# system-config-network

  Thanks Marc! It is brief and clear! Any suggestion about how to get rid of the 3rd step regarding my wireless card will be highly appreciate!

  Thanks!
   Cao
Marc

  On 4/12/06, BB Cao <pearlsmm at yahoo.com> wrote:    Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

  On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 14:25 -0700, BB Cao wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I installed a dual boot (FC5+WinXP) on my Dell Inspiron B130 laptop.
> Everything is great except I don't have the wireless function. When I
> started on the kwi***(sorry, can't remember the name) and scan for
> wireless, if reponsed with "iwlist is not in your path" and no
> wireless found. How may I fix it? I searched a while but still no
> clue. Your help will be highly appreciate! Thanks in advance!

Maybe others can answer based on the information you supplied, but I
think more info is needed. Are you using NetworkManager and nm-applet as
well and NetworkManagerDispatcher. What NIC does the machine have? etc,
etc, and so forth. Please look up the name of the program you are using
to scan for wireless before you ask questions like this on the list.

  Thanks Aaron! Sorry for not giving enough information! As you can tell, I am a newbie.

After read your message, it did make me think a lot, I did try to understand a little bit more about my system. I realized that I need manually install the wireless card at first (Do I ?). When I tried to install the wireless card, I found no identified brand name on the list for my card, according to Dell the card name is "Dell Wireless 1370 Internal Wireless ( 802.11b/g, 54Mbps) for Inspiron 1300". When I installed FC5, it didn't ask me any specific settings for the network. How can I fix it?
Thanks!

Best,
 Cao

Aaron Konstam