FC3: ulimit -i Problem

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Apr 13 16:56:13 UTC 2006

 >> Eder, Norbert wrote:
 >>
 >> Hi all,
 >>
 >> I have a normal PC with FC3 installed.
 >>
 >> For user root, I can modify the "ulimit -i" (pending signals)  to 65536.
 >> But for a other user, I can't set this.
 >>
 >> When I modify /etc/profile, to set this in general, I get following
 >> error, when I login as user en021245:
 >>
 >> ..
 >>
 >> [en021245 at pc-6] ~> ulimit -i 2222
 >> bash: ulimit: pending signals: cannot modify limit: Operation not
permitted
 >> [en021245 at pc-6] ~>
 >
 > Andy Green wrote:
 >
 > Sounds like selinux.  Try setting it to permissive temporarily and see
 > if you suddenly have these capabilities as your normal user.
 > /etc/profile runs as your normal user privs so doing it there generating
 > errors is no more surprising than not being able to do it at the
 > commandline as that user.

If that doesn't solve your problem, try logging in as root and adding
the following lines to "/etc/security/limits.conf":

en021245    soft    sigpending    65536
en021245    hard    sigpending    65536

Then log in as en021245 and use "ulimit -Si" and "ulimit -Hi" to verify
that both the soft and hard limits have been set.

I'm also curious to know how you have the pending signals option
available to you on FC3?  None of my FC3 boxes do.

I hope that works for you,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer