Video editing & OT by now...

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Apr 14 10:53:57 UTC 2006

On Fri April 14 2006 12:14 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
> the bvu-800 already has it set right so the head switch is
> about 1 to 2 lines into the vertical interval.  If you are seeing the
> switchpoint, its the src tape thats out of time when it was recorded.
> That switchpoint is controlled during the record process, not the
> playback.

I sort of suspected bad tapes, but I go back and forth since I seem to see so
many tapes with the head switching artifacts. I've gotten used to dealing
with it, so it's sort of part of the process of using the legacy footage - I
hardly think about it anymore...

> However, I expect by now that thing is probably due for a complete
> on up.  Not to mention the loading arm that pulls the tape out of the
> cartridge is probably fubar too.

It's been in the shop several times in the past 7 years. I probably use it no
more than 10-20 times a year, now. I'm waiting for it to die - I've told
powers that be to give me the means to pick up a 9850 with low hours, but,
such requests are usually ignored in the absence of clear need. I'm sure the
thing will come up dead some day, at the moment we really need it - around
here, there's no one left who'll even work on it, so when it goes, it will be
truly gone.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA