Xen and FC5 boot problems

Srinivasan S ssrini at linuxmail.org
Fri Apr 14 13:17:22 UTC 2006

Hi

I had Xen 2.x running peacefully on FC4 .. sigh.

Yesterday I upgraded to FC5 and also downloaded and installed the new Xen
version 3.x from xensource.com .. I installed via the precompiled tarball.

My grub entries loook like this:

title Xen 3.0 (Fedora/XenLinux 2.6)
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=260000
        module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=/dev/sda6 ro console=tty0
        module /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img
        boot

My /etc/fstab looks like this:

/dev/sda6                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/sda7               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

Fedora is installed on a SATA hard disk, partition /dev/sda6

Xen boots and then soon after reports a kernel panic and after a few seconds
reboots .. I was unable to get the messages before the last screen but managed
to capture the last messages on screen .. reported below.

jbd: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
insmod: error inserting /lib/jbd.ko: -1 invalid module format
ext3: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
insmod: error inserting /lib/ext3.ko: -1 invalid module format
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: no such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: no such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: no such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init:

And then the system quickly reboots.

Any help to fix this is appreciated.

Regards
Srini