[ANNOUNCE] Aurora Build-2.0

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Apr 14 16:01:29 UTC 2006

The Aurora SPARC Linux Project is proud to announce the release of
Aurora SPARC Linux Build 2.0.

The Aurora SPARC Project is an effort to support SPARC (32 and 64 bit)
hardware on Linux. Specifically, we rebuild Fedora Core for SPARC. Why
do we do this? Because we can.

This release is a full tree of sparc packages that match up pretty
closely to Fedora Core 3. You can install it via CD/DVD (iso images), or
via network (tftp images).

This release is our first "stable" release based on a 2.6 kernel.

We knew there were some relatively minor issues, but we decided to get
this release out and focus on the FC-5/6 tree.

Here are the known issues:

* On Sun Blade 100s, non-LVM installs will complete, but the system may
not boot.
* I was unable to get sound to work on my SPARCStation 20 (dbri).
* Sometimes, LVM installs die trying to run lvcreate.
* There is no SMP kernel for sparc32. This is broken upstream.
* The following machines have horrible ide controllers:
SunBlade 100, Ultra 5, Ultra 10
Accordingly, the installer needs to boot with the following option in
order to succeed on these machines: ide=nodma
* The dmfe driver doesn't work on most (all?) Netras. Try the tulip
driver instead.
* There is no support for the "Niagara" architecture, also known as
sun4v.
* There are no "sparc64" packages in this release. When time permits,
we'll make a repo of 64bit only packages for sparc64.

I'm sure there are lots of other fun bugs lurking in there, but those
are the ones I know about. As you find bugs in the release, please file
them at: http://bugzilla.auroralinux.org/

Some items fixed:

* DVD image is now reasonably sized to fit on a DVD (doesn't include
SRPMS now)
* tftp images work (TILO is a piece of broken trash)
* iptables should no longer panic on discontiguous sparc64 cpus
* sb100 framebuffer should work correctly
* setting the system time/date should no longer hardlock the system
* prelink is disabled by default

Ready to download?

Primary Download Site:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/aurora/build-2.0/

Our mirrors should sync up in the near future.

Thanks to all the folks on #aurora who helped knock out some of the bad
bugs.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!