OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200604 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Fri Apr 14 17:13:35 UTC 2006

> But then I have two D-Links, and I'm very happy with both.

Folks advocating those consumer firewall / NAT boxes might be
interested to read this.

           http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/

I've seen the same thing done by Linksys and Netgear routers.  It
sounds to me like the code running on those boxes is not very highly
audited for correctness, and is hardly ever updated by users even when
bugs are found and the manufacturer issues new code.  While these
firewalls usually do run linux they don't have anything like yum to
keep them up-to-date.

OB linux: folks wanting to tinker and run linux on an embeded system
can't go too wrong by buying one of these routers and running openwrt
(www.openwrt.org) on them.  You get real linux including ssh with
authorized keys support, ipv6, ntp, syslog.  The admin commands on the
box such as ifconfig, ps, etc. will seem very familiar to linux users.

Note, I can't see the value of running one of those under-powered
boxes as a firewall.  Why?  It uses the same software firewall that
fedora does.  Why not run the firewall on a more powerful box like
your main computer?

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html