Madwifi and NetworkManager (was Re: FC5 on IBM ThinkPad T43)

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Fri Apr 14 19:20:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 11:33 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 12:44 -0400, Robert Locke wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 09:16 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > > FC5 installed very smoothly on this laptop.  No real issues at this
> > > point save the Atheros Wireless NIC.
> > >
> > > 04:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
> > > 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
> > >

> > > I installed the livna RPM's:
> > > madwifi-0.0.0.20060317-4.lvn5
> > > kmod-madwifi-0.0.0.20060317-3.2.6.16_1.2080_FC5
> > >
> > > I have been trying to use NetworkManger (version
> > > NetworkManager-0.6.2-1.fc5 from updates testing) to get the connected to
> > > my wireless network in any mode(en-encrypted, WEP or WAP).  I haven't been having much success at this
> > > point.
> > >
> > > NetworkManager shows several wireless networks available, some locked(shown with a padlock icon) and others unlocked.
> > >

> > > Anyone got a madwifi HOWTO to point me at for FC5 or a piece of information that
> > > I am missing to get me going?
> > >

> > Try copying the three lines from /etc/modprobe.d/madwifi
> > into /etc/modprobe.conf.  I then rebooted and was able to use
> > system-config-network to configure ath0....  I do not use NetworkManager
> > nor do I use WPA - so YMMV on those - but I am able to use WEP on my T40
> > and reconfigure it with system-config-network.....
> >
> > --Rob
> >
> Hmmm...that didn't seem to do anything for me...
>

> Maybe I am tripping over something in NetworkManager ... Looking at the
> logs that it generates, it seems that it can't do WPA out of the box or
> it is not supported even thought wpa_supplicant is installed(weird).
>
> What's even weirder is that I can't associate with a wide-open AP.  Here
> are some logs (/var/log/messages).  Maybe someone with a few seconds can
> peruse them and tell me what I have screwed up.
>
> Apr 14 10:42:42 framd NetworkManager: <information>     Activation
> (ath0) started...
> Apr 14 10:42:42 framd NetworkManager: <information>     Activation
> (ath0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
> Apr 14 10:42:42 framd NetworkManager: <information>     Old device
> 'ath0' activating, won't change.
> Apr 14 10:42:42 framd NetworkManager: <information>     Activation
> (ath0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
> Apr 14 10:42:42 framd NetworkManager: <information>     Activation
> (ath0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
> Apr 14 10:42:42 framd NetworkManager: <information>     Activation
> (ath0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
> Apr 14 10:42:42 framd NetworkManager: <information>     Activation
> (ath0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
> Apr 14 10:42:42 framd NetworkManager: <information>     Activation
> (ath0/wireless): access point 'NWFSC' is encrypted, but NO valid key
> exists.  New key needed.
> Apr 14 10:42:42 framd NetworkManager: <information>     Activation
> (ath0) New wireless user key requested for network 'NWFSC'.
> Apr 14 10:42:42 framd NetworkManager: <information>     Activation
> [...]

As I see it, there are two differences between what you are doing and
what I am doing.  One is NetworkManager and the other is WPA.  I would
first try eliminating NetworkManager from the picture and see if you can
at least get the card happy and connecting either to an open AP or using
WPA.....  Then I would tackle NetworkManager.

I'm also guessing that the Rich Dawe RPMs are using a newer snapshot of
madwifi-ng code than what is currently in livna and hence it being
closer to working for you.

I would really suggest eliminating the layer of NM temporarily just to
make sure that stuff is connecting at least, and staying connected for a
while....  I am not sure of the current state of WPA in Madwifi either.
You might want to consider jumping on their mailing list to get some
more help....

--Rob