How to install the Nvidia driver in Fedora Core 5 ?

Rick Sewill rsewill at cableone.net
Sat Apr 15 18:29:16 UTC 2006

Please accept the disclaimer I am not a developer.  I run Fedora Core
on my personal computer because I prefer to run Linux to other operating
systems.  I am coming in on the middle of this discussion.  There are
other people who know more about Fedora Core and NVdia than I....

When I wished to upgrade to Fedora Core 5, I did an Internet search.
I found the website which proved helpful for me:
http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#nVidia
I have no association with this website.

By following instructions on this website, I was able to use
kmod-nvidia on my Dell Latitude D800 laptop,
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4
Ti 4200 Go
AGP 8x] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 0179
        Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop, 66MHz, medium devsel,
latency 248,
 IRQ 11

One thing mentioned at the above website was the following:
"    *  To prevent SElinux problems with the ATI fglrx or nVidia
modules type the following in the root terminal:

      setsebool -P allow_execstack=1

      Hit enter. Also type:

      setsebool -P allow_execmod=1

      Hit enter. Reboot your machine. Your ATI fglrx or nVidia drivers
should be enabled after you reboot.
"

I am wondering if this might be your problem.

Please don't flame me if you've already thought of this or this
doesn't help.  I'm trying to help...and I am no expert on Fedora or
video cards or graphics so I may not be of much help.

-Rick