FC5 mail and localhost

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sat Apr 15 23:13:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 12:56 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> List,
>
> I am trying to use FC5 for a gateway machine with an external eth0
> (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) and internal eth1 (10.0.0.135).  I am having some
> difficulty setting up sendmail.
>
> I have installed essentially the same sendmail.mc that I have used with
> an FC4 gateway, but the FC5 system does not appear to be recognizing
> localhost properly.
>
> For instance when I "telnet localhost 25" I connect to sendmail, but
> when I try to send a command like HELP I get a response "550 5.0.0
> Access denied" or when I try to use "mail -v -s 'Test' root" I receive
> "550 5.0.0 Access denied".
>
> Surprisingly, when I telnet 10.0.0.135 25 (from the local machine) I
> connect to sendmail and am able to manually communicate with sendmail
> and even send a message.  When I "telnet (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) 25" (from an
> external source) I am able to connect to sendmail and send a piece of
> mail manually.
>
> If my sendmail.mc, or host files are faulty I can not find the error.
> Does anyone know if this is a bug related to FC5, sendmail, and
> localhost?
>
> Greg Ennis

After a Bunch of goggle searches I found the problem, and thought I
would post it here to make sure the thread is complete.

I had an entry in the host.deny file of ALL:ALL which excluded localhost
permissions to use sendmail.  I am not sure why this has occurred on FC5
but not FC4, but at least the problem is now resolved.

Greg