Re: Will you recommend fedora to a newcomer?

Alex F. Evonosky wrote:
On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 09:23 -0500, Jimmy Montague wrote:

That's so simply because, with home users, any distro is garbage if it can't detect and use Windoze hardware. Xandros fails for me because it can't use my ($240) label printer. FC5 fails for me because it can't detect my ($150) US Robotics voice-data-fax modem.

Every modem I had had been Serial based, none of the Windows "Winmodems", all worked fine.

If you are using a "winmodem", its not FC5 fault that it could not detect it, but rather the vendor will not release chip specs to anyone other than M$. There have been some reverse engineering work in the realm, but if the vendor will not realase specs, then building a module for it is kinda rough. Using a Serial external modem will work with no hitch.