I give up on x86-64, its too busted.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Apr 16 17:08:07 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 April 2006 12:37, Rob Andrews wrote:
>On 16-Apr-2006 14:43.13 (BST), Bill Polhemus wrote:
> > Is x86_64 appropriate for an AMD 64-bit processor? I thought there
> > was a distinction between Intel and AMD for 64 bits.
>
>AMD's 64-bit processors are x86-64, often also referred to as amd64
> and polluted by Windows x86-64 releases as "x64". This moniker also
> applies to CPUs with Intel's EM64T, hence later members of the
> Pentium 4 and Xeon 4.
>
>Intel's Itanium architecture is referred to as ia64.

Thanks Rob.

Humm, I now have installed the 386 version of FC5, but I told it to put
grub in the 1st sector of /dev/hda2, the partition named /boot.

But there's no choice of booting anything but XP.  I guess this means I
have to install it in the mbr of /dev/hda?

In which case how do I install it, and whats the magic spell to put into
grub.conf so I have a choice of what to boot?

Running the rescue cd, and cd'd to /mnt/sysimage, with a shell, a
"usr/local/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda"  gets me a message that it can't
find grub in sbin.  Of course its not there, if booted normally it
would be in /usr/sbin.

Obviously there's something I'm doing wrong in trying to protect the XP
install, but how can I fix it and boot the just installed i386 version
of FC5?  I'd druther not have to go all the way thru another install
just to move the grub stuff into the MBR.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: