Will you recommend fedora to a newcomer?

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 18:46:49 UTC 2006

On 4/16/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> No, the fault isn't with Linux, or BSD, or other *ixs.  The fault is
> with an industry that only supports Windows.

I agree that it's not the fault of Linux, BSD, etc.  But it is also
not the fault of the industry.  You are talking about a commercial
industry,  not an open source, volunteer driven industry.  And with
90%+ of the market using Windows, it only makes good business sense to
focus your efforts there.  Your return on investment will much more
likely be realized in the MS Windows world than in the Linux world.
You can't blame a profit driven industry for putting their effort into
supporting MS Windows and not Linux.

If/when Linux becomes more prevalent, then you'll see a shift in the
industry.  Until then there is no financial incentive (the motor that
drives the industry) to support Linux.  It's not a personal decision,
it's a business decision.  Unless you have someone in a company who is
pushing Linux, or if they are running Linux in house and therefore
have a vested interest in supporting that OS, you're not going to see
it.

Thanks,

Jacques