Name resolution broken after upgrading to FC5

Cedric Tefft cedric at phreaker.net
Sun Apr 16 19:12:23 UTC 2006

Ulrich Drepper wrote:

>Gordon Messmer wrote:
>

>>Couldn't tell you, but I don't have NIS or NIS+.  I remain suspicious
>>that SELinux is the cause, rather than the "nisplus" entry.
>>

>The nisplus module is broken in the moment and it causes lookups to
>simply fail.  This was caused by a fix we did in response to a bug
>report.  We relied on 3rd party testing for verification.  Unfortunately
>this testing was completely bogus and the module even break when not
>really used.  It's corrected now.  I don't know what the plans for an
>update are, though.  Just remove nisplus from nsswitch.conf for now.

To Gordon's comment, I can verify that when put the 'nisplus' entry back
into nsswitch.conf (by editing it), the problem comes back.

I'm not running NIS/NIS+ either..  After reading your followups, I
looked through my installed packages and found yp-tools, ypbind, and
ypserv and uninstalled them all, however name resolution still breaks if
I put nisplus back into nssswitch.conf (not that I need it -- I'm just
curious).  It's not clear to me which is the 'nisplus module' that
Ulrich is refering to, though I did notice fetchmail pulled in
/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2 (provided by glibc) during the failed system call.

- Cedric