partition management in linux - lvm

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Apr 17 11:58:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Monday 17 April 2006 05:05, oleksandr korneta wrote:
>>> By default, FC5 seems to choose to make LVM partitions, which would make
>>> it fairly easy. I don't know about converting existing partition/data
>>> into LVM though ?
>>
>> yep. This is the whole point.
>
> Your problem stems from the requirement to delete the first partition, then
> resize backwards.  As far as I know there is no way to do that safely.
> Resizing upwards is relatively easy, but doesn't address your need.
>
> Could you not reformat the vfat partition as ext3 instead, and use it as an
> additional data store?

What are the sizes of the two partitions in question?  If the data in
the ext3 partition will fit in the vfat partition, you could do the
following:

(1) Delete the vfat partition and replace it with a LVM physical volume.
(2) Create a volume group with that physical volume and create a logical
     volume there.  Format the logical volume as ext3.
(3) Copy the data from the ext3 partition to the logical volume.
(4) Delete the ext3 partition and replace it with a LVM physical volume.
(5) Add the physical volume to the volume group created in (2).
(6) Expand the logical volume created in (2) to fill the available space.

See the LVM HOWTO (easily Googled) for good detailed help.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu