FC5: Bash under chroot, "no job control in this shell"

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 15:26:35 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I've got a fully loaded FC5/x86_64 machine.
Due to development requirement, I need to be able to use 32bit FC4
binaries on an LVM partition. dual boot is not an option.

In previous versions (FC4/64) I just ran the following command:
su -c 'chroot /mnt/FC4 /bin/su - gilboa'

And it worked just fine.

-However-, in FC5, the same script give me:
'Password:
-bash: no job control in this shell'
And all job control functionality is disabled. (Ctrl-C, Z, etc)

I should point out that the chroot'ed environment is fully mounted, dev,
proc, tmp, etc

[gilboa at gilboa-work-dev ~]$ mount | grep FC4
/dev/mapper/VolMD-LogFC4 on /mnt/FC4 type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolMD-LogInstall on /mnt/FC4/mnt/Install type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolMD-LogWork on /mnt/FC4/mnt/Work type ext3 (rw)
/tmp on /mnt/FC4/tmp type none (rw,bind)
/dev on /mnt/FC4/dev type none (rw,bind)
proc on /mnt/FC4/proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /mnt/FC4/sys type sysfs (rw)

I assume that this is a security problem with the initial su command.
If I manually 'su -' to root and then manually chroot, bash is working
just fine.
Any ideas what's broken?

Gilboa
P.S. selinux is disabled on both ends.