FC5 uudecode missing?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Apr 17 18:19:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 11:11 -0500, dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
> >
> >> After a fresh FC5 install from a known good DVD my mad-wifi 'make'
> >> failed
> >> when it couldn't find uudecode. After some hunting I found a man page
> >> for
> >> uudecode, but no file by that name anywhere. Whazzup?
> >
> > Install "sharutils".  It is in there.
> >
> > Personally I think that should be part of the base install.  There are
> > still programs that require it to build correctly, such as the madwifi
> > drivers. It takes up little space.  I guess it is just one of those
> > forgotten packages that you don't figure you need until much later.

> Thanks very much. Is 'sharutils' in Extras, or is it on the DVD?

sharutils appears to be part of core and should be on the DVD.

> If the latter, I'll want to reopen the "everything" discussion. The only
> packages I didn't select for installation were those in language support.

I hit this same problem in a previous version of FC.  At the time what I
found odd was that the man page for the uudecode utility was included on
the system but the actual program was not.  IMHO the man page should be
packaged with the program and both installed at the same time.  The man
page without the program is kind of silly.

As to the everything discussion, please don't.  That horse is dead a few
times over and from past discussions this would not be the list to have
that discussion yet again.